Senior Linux System Administrator primarily in web based technologies and the Internet
I have worked in IT for over 30 years, most of that with Linux and Solaris for Internet based businesses and services. This has included customer support, system design, discovery and migration, scripting and programming. I am able to adapt to new situations quickly and can grasp new systems and techniques quickly as well as being able to draw on a wealth of experience.
Senior System Administrator, AdminGeekZ Ltd
- Linux System Administration, primarily Enterprise Linux and Debian-based systems (CentOS, Ubuntu)
- Web server technologies including Apache HTTPD, nginx and LiteSpeed
- Email system management and monitoring
- MySQL server optimisation
- Bash and Python scripting
- Web control panels including cPanel, DirectAdmin and Plesk
- Virtualisation and containerisation technologies including KVM and LXC
- Service deployments with ansible, docker and other tools
- DNS and network management
- Remote or hybrid work
- Full time or contract
- Linux System Administration
- System design
- Discovery and Migration projects
- Linux and Unix system administration (30 years)
- System troubleshooting
- System discovery and analysis
- System design and deployment
- Almost 30 years involvement with Internet technologies
2011 - present
AdminGeekZ Ltd, UK/International
- Senior System Administrator
Remote system administration and DevOps services for businesses located around the world, principally with dedicated LAMP and nginx/php-fpm servers and cloud based systems. System tuning and provisioning for high performance and reliability based around MySQL, apache, nginx, PHP and varnish. Extensive experience with cPanel and Plesk control panels, backups and general server management. Security including system updating, hardening and tuning and the configuration of systems for HTTPS and other secure protocols.
Previous positions (to 2010)
2010 - 2011
BuzzSports Ltd, Leeds, UK
- Senior System Administrator, buzzsports.com
Setting up server and desktop systems for a gaming startup in Leeds using a LAMP based system on Rackspace servers. Implementation of processes and security to meet requirements of a UK gambling license and PCI-DSS compliance.
The Tote, Wigan, UK
- Contract Linux PCI-DSS Compliance Consultant
Providing technical advice and support for a PCI-DSS compliance project for this high profile online betting service, including auditing production environments and developing and documenting system hardening strategies and ongoing patching and support processes in a RedHat Linux environment.
Lloyds Bank for HP plc, Knutsford, UK
- Contract Technical Consultant
A project at a major financial institution to identify legacy hardware and its applications and suggest a migration strategy into a managed Linux environment. This involved system discovery in a mixed Solaris and HP-UX environment and documentation and communication with stakeholders regarding requirements.
Teesside Polytechnic, Middlesbrough.
- Humanities BA